The Action aims to offer free legal services to asylum seekers by securing the services of three fully qualified registered lawyers, trained on the asylum procedures in Cyprus and relative national and EU legislation. Services will be provided throughout the asylum procedure, including access to legal rights as asylum seekers as described under the relative legislation. The Action shall be implemented alongside a United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) funded project that offers free legal services to asylum seekers and persons under international protection by two legal advisors, and has been implemented by FWC since 2006. The Action shall be implemented in such a way that it benefits from the existing experience and know-how of FWC and simultaneously increases the sufficiently capacity of the organization to offer high quality services to a larger number of asylum seekers.In view of the lack of legal aid at the administrative stages of the asylum procedure in Cyprus and the fact that the majority of asylum seekers are not in the position to pay for legal services there is undoubtedly a need to extend services offered to a much larger number of asylum seekers.
The project aims to provide asylum seekers with free, confidential, independent legal advice and representation, throughout the asylum procedure. In this way, we ensure that people have access to a fair and effective examination of their case, and can enjoy their fundamental rights.
Services shall be offered to asylum seekers from all over Cyprus, in person, by way of appointments at the organization’s premises and the offices in Limassol, and follow ups will take place, when feasible via telephone, in order to limit as much as possible the need for asylum seekers from other towns having to commute to Nicosia or Limassol or even within the city they live in.
• Provide information on the asylum procedure,
• Represent asylum seekers during the personal interview,
• Prepare appeals to be submitted before the Refugee Reviewing Authority,
• Visit detention centers and provide legal representation to detained asylum seekers
• Facilitate people’s access to their rights as under national and EU Law
• Interpretation services are available for asylum seekers who do not speak Greek or English.
• Asylum seekers receive well informed legal advice, representation and assistance on their individual asylum cases throughout the asylum procedure
• Sufficient increase in the number of asylum seekers that receive such services by FWC
Duration of the Project
The project will be implemented during the first six (6) months of 2015, from January to June.